Saturday, October 12, 2013

Dark Cherry Jam with Toasted Slivered Almonds

Every weekend that I can, I make jams and jellies particularly this time of year. 

 
It's a hobby of mine and sometimes I get a little bored and want to try something new
and different. 

This weekend I made pepper & onion jam, turns out this is just too fabulous, sweet and savory
and not too sweet.  I tend to not use much sugar. 

But, then I didn't get to the market for fruits and vegetables today, usually go on Sunday, but
I will be off at a birthday party tomorrow.  So, I was still in the mood for canning, and used
a can of dark cherries, added lemon juice a half package of pectin, less than 1/4 cup sugar,
because the dark cherries had their own syrup.  I added cherry juice, a smidge of ground
cloves, ginger and cinnamon.

I cooked to the jelly stage and added in toasted almonds I had cooked prior.  
This is delightfully tart with a great cherry flavor that has the crunch of almonds.  If I had
almond extract I would have used a little, but I had homemade vanilla extract so added a
touch of that to the mixture. 

This jam set up really well and is so flavorful.  I think this would pair well with any robust
red wine, crackers and cheese.


  Next weekend I have to get some more ingredients at the market and need to order more
jars for the holiday season. 

Find other jams made this season at ilPiccoloGiardino on Etsy:

Jams and Jellies at ilPiccoloGiardino on Etsy



No comments:

Post a Comment