Saturday, February 23, 2013

New Jams and Jellies Winter Pursuits

It's been a while since I posted here.  With the onset of winter and the holidays, just was busy. 
Then, the snow started to fly!  Because the winter is cold and every weekend seemed to be filled with snow,
I started making wreaths.  You can see some of them on Etsy, at ilPiccoloGiardino. 

So, then even though there will be another weekend day where I'm housebound, I started thinking about
the holidays upcoming in March:  St. Patrick's Day and Easter. 

I pulled out the canning equipment and got to work. 

First, I made Irish Whiskey Jam, not only to be enjoyed on St. Patrick's Day, but is really special
on that day.



Then, this one is for the Polish who love their Easter and horseradish.  I made Cranberry Vodka and Horseradish Sauce. Excellent for an Easter Brunch.   Definitely has a zip and a zing! 







 

You too can make any of these jams or preserves. 
I didn't really use a recipe, just added ingredients as I thought appropriate. 
Just follow the traditional canning recipes.  The one thing I did not do with these is add pectin,  and I used
cane sugar instead of regular and they worked up and set so well. 



For the Irish Whiskey Jam, which is like a marmalade, I put the oranges in a jar overnight with sugar and
some whiskey, along with a tad lemon juice. 

For the Cranberry Vodka Horseradish, I already had steeped the cranberries in vodka, so there was no
overnight prep work. 


In over a month, it will be time to think about gardening again.  I can't wait to get started on the herbs. 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment